“Bilty” or “Bilti” is a colloquial term often used in India to refer to a consignment note. A consignment note, also known as a waybill or a delivery note, is an essential document issued by a transport agency or carrier. It serves as a transportation receipt, providing important details about the goods being transported from one location to another.
The purpose of a consignment note is to record the agreement between the shipper or sender of the goods and the carrier. It contains crucial information that helps facilitate the smooth movement of goods and ensures transparency throughout the transportation process.
Typically, a consignment note includes the following key details:
1. Sender and Receiver Information: It specifies the names, addresses, and contact details of the sender (consignor) and the receiver (consignee) of the goods.
2. Consignment Details: It provides a detailed description of the goods being transported, including their quantity, weight, dimensions, and any special handling instructions.
3. Origin and Destination: It indicates the location from where the goods are being shipped (origin) and the intended destination where they are to be delivered.
4. Carrier Information: It includes the name, address, and contact details of the transport agency or carrier responsible for transporting the goods.
5. Shipment Date and Time: It records the date and time when the goods are handed over to the carrier for transportation.
6. Terms and Conditions: It outlines the terms and conditions of the transportation agreement, including liability, insurance, and any specific contractual obligations.
The consignment note is an important legal document that serves multiple purposes:
1. Proof of Shipment: It serves as evidence that the goods have been received by the carrier for transportation, ensuring accountability and proof of delivery.
2. Invoice and Payment Verification: It helps in verifying the accuracy of invoices and ensures that the sender and receiver are billed correctly for the transportation services.
3. Tracking and Tracing: The unique consignment note number allows for easy tracking and tracing of the shipment’s progress throughout the transportation journey.
4. Dispute Resolution: In case of any disputes or claims regarding the shipment, the consignment note acts as a reference document that outlines the agreed terms and conditions.
Fleetable: The best fleet and transport management software in india that will help you manage all aspects of your fleet, from drivers and vehicles to simple maintenance and repairs. You’ll be able to track everything in a single place
601, JMD Galleria, Sohna Road, Sector 48, Gurugram, Haryana, India (122018)
Guelph, Ontario, Canada