India Has Become Second Largest Road Network by Beating China

India has become the second-largest Road Network by Beating China. The US maintains its position as the number one nation. According to the report, India secured this position by expanding its road network to 1.45 lakh km over the last eight years. The Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari, also commented on this achievement during a press conference.

While sharing the accomplishments during his tenure, Gadkari said that India has been focusing on improving the highways and making greenfield expressways from the past Within the past nine years. The minister said he is trying each possible thing to take the country’s infrastructure to another level.

Road Network of India

Image Reference from www.ibef.org

This road network transports 64.5% of all goods in the country and 90% of India’s total passenger traffic uses the road network to commute. Road transportation has gradually increased over the years with improvement in connectivity between cities, towns and villages in the country.

During the conference, Gadkari too informed the Authority of India (NHA1) that it has been working on Delhi-Mumbai Expressway with full focus, and nearly completed India’s top-notch longest project ever.

Gadkari too uncovered that before his authority, India had 91,287 km of road network only. During his tenure, the minister grasped on NHAI, which has built, fixed and improved highways and expressways. He informed that NHAI has built more than 30,000 km of highways and expressways across the country.

India’s Fund For Constructing Expressways

While addressing the media, Gadkari highlighted a reality by saying during his tenure, the budget for the highways and developing the roads also have been expanded. He said the toll collection price also expanded from Rs 4,770 cr to 41,352 within the past 9 years. He said, now the central government has an aim to extend the budget collection up to 71.30 lakh cr in upcoming years.

Now we look at the top 5 countries with the largest road network in the world.

A strong road network is necessarily for the economy of a nation and for the movement of its people. A great road network can help connect markets and deliver substantial financial benefits to the people.

Here, we look at the world’s five biggest road networks, including nations like the US India and China.

United States

The US has the greatest road network in the world. It contains a road network of 68,03,480 km Approx , out of which 63 percent is paved and 37 percent is unpaved. The United States road network received a boost after the Federal-Aid Highway Act was passed in 1956.

India

India has the second biggest road network in the world at 63,72,614 km Approx. Out of this, 70% of the roads are paved and 30% of the roads are unpaved. India has got very big boost to its road network, which was at 54,00,000 km in 2015.

China

China is another on the list, with a road network of 51,98,000 km, permitting it to capture the third spot. Out of the entire road network, 95 % of the roads are paved and the remaining 5% of the roads are unpaved.

Brazil

Brazil has the fourth greatest road network in the world, at 20,00,000 km of roads. Out of this, just 12% of the streets are paved and 88% of the roads are unpaved.

Russia

Russia takes the 5th spot, with a road network of 15,29,373 km in total. Out of this, 61% of roads are paved and 39% of the roads are unpaved.

Interesting Facts

India set a Guinness World Record in 2023 for constructing a 75 km bituminous concrete road in just 105 hours and 33 minutes.

The Delhi-Mumbai Expressway, under construction by NHAI, will become India’s longest expressway upon completion.

Conclusion

India has made exceptional strides in growing its road network in recent years, getting to be the second-largest in the world after the U.S. The government demonstrates its commitment to further improving the country’s infrastructure by setting ambitious objectives for the long term.

Related Post

Fleetable: The best fleet and transport management software in india that will help you manage all aspects of your fleet, from drivers and vehicles to simple maintenance and repairs. You’ll be able to track everything in a single place

ADDRESS

Head Office

601, JMD Galleria, Sohna Road, Sector 48, Gurugram, Haryana, India (122018)

Branch Office

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

© 2023 Affable Web Solutions Company. All rights reserved